26 Oct Helm Bar & Bistro
Last week, I was invited to experience the brand new Helm Bar & Bistro, down in Darling Harbour.
I have to admit I am one of these people working in the CBD and for whom the Helm bar is just ideally located. I finished my job and 5 minutes later, I was sitting on this wide open deck, facing Darling Harbour. What better way to finish your day than sipping a good cocktail with a friend (thank you for joining me, Sophie ;-), all while watching the sunset…?
The food menu has all the classics pizzas, burgers, finger food, etc. I won’t judge the pizza as I am not a big fan of it, but the squids, for instance, were really good. And if you are not there only for the aperitif and want to have a proper dinner, the Helm Bar & Bistro has an extended menu with a range of salads (I tried the Buffalo mozzarella and loved it), pasta and other mains such as the massive Borrowdale Crumbed pork cutlet. The Proscuitto plate with melon was my favourite dish.
5 REASONS TO GO TO HELM BAR & BISTRO
1. Recently relaunched, the upper deck has been transformed into a new Riviera-inspired “yacht club” décor.
2. Located right by the water, the view on Darling Harbour is nice.
3. Perfect for after work drinks, especially on Friday night, when they put music on. There is also a Happy hour Monday to Friday. 5-7pm. $6 drinks.
4. Special lunch offers ($12 to $14 mains – or $20 with a house drink). I would pick Wednesday for the fish & chips!
5. They have a cocktail called boatie mc boatface. Apparently, it is their best seller, just because of its name… Now I’m sure your curious and you want to try it? I have, and I must say it is really good… It is made with Vodka, Lychee Liqueur, passionfruit puree & lime juice.
Salt & Pepper squid $18
Beef carpaccio $20
Proscuitto with melon and sourdough $18
Tapas plate $21
Mozzarella salad $22
Smoked Salmon Nicoise salad $24
Pizzas: $21 to $24
Prawn & avocado Roll $18
Potato gnocchi $22
borrowdale Crumbed pork cutlet $32
Cheese plate $24